Of course, the cost of sparkling water can add up too. A couple of years ago, I saw Soda Stream and wanted one for my own. Brett surprised me with one for my birthday this year. With a 20% off coupon and a rebate, we got a pretty good deal on it, so I think it will pay for itself quickly. I love the convenience -- it is so nice to be able to make my own sparkling water whenever I need it.
Plus, I get to experiment with new recipes for refreshing beverages! Here is one of my experiments -- it's basically a sparkling fruit-ade.
Homemade Citrus Soda
juice of one orange
juice of three limes
juice of three small lemons
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
- Juice your citrus fruit. The total amount of juice should be equal to about one cup. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water and heat until boiling. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Add the citrus juice to the sugar syrup, and stir to combine.
- Use a funnel to transfer the citrus syrup to glass bottle with lid. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- To serve, combine some citrus syrup with sparking water, to taste. I like to use about 2 or 3 tablespoons of syrup to sparkling water.