Since our Cinderella Ice Pack bit the dust this weekend, I thought that I would make Lucie and Ella each their own Heart Boo Boo Bag. It's basically the same thing as a flaxseed heating wrap, but in the shape of a heart. It can either be stored in the freezer for ouchies OR heated in the microwave for warmth. Ella loves using my flaxseed wrap, so I think she'll enjoy using the heart as well.
These are super-cheap to make. They cost me nothing since I already had some leftover supplies from other projects. However, if you don't want to buy flaxseed, you could also use plain ol' uncooked rice. The smell would be different, but the result would be the same.
Here's what you need:
- heart template
- sewing machine
- whole flaxseed or uncooked rice (I used 1 cup per bag)
- Cut out a heart template that is slightly larger than you want your finished bag to be. Trace and cut out 2 hearts out of fabric. (I cut out one solid colored heart and one floral heart.)
- Place the two hearts with the right sides of the fabric facing together. Use straight pins to hold the hearts together while you use the sewing machine to stitch them together, leaving about a 1 - 2 inch opening.
- Turn the hearts right side out. Iron to press the seams.
- Finish the edge by sewing around the heart again and be sure not to stitch the opening closed.
- Place a funnel into the opening and pour in the flaxseed. Use straight pins to hold the opening shut.
- Stitch the opening shut and remove the pins.