Well, it's that time of year again. Time to take stock of our lives and think about the changes that we want to make in the coming year. This year I've been thinking about some goals that I have both for my family and for myself as an individual.
Goals for My Family
- Create a Family Mission Statement: Ever since I read about Simple Mom's idea to write a Family Mission Statement, I've wanted to create one. While Brett and I have talked in general about some ideas, we've never actually sat down and crafted one. In 2012, I think we just might do that.
- Learn more: Learning will definitely be part of our family mission statement. As a family, we desire to be lifelong learners. I hope that we embrace our time on the East Coast and learn more about our nation's history. I want us to teach each other what we're learning in our lives. And, I want to relearn what I used to know (like my knowledge of the French language).
- Have more fun together: I want to spend more time having fun and laughing with my family. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in doing "life" that we forget that we're supposed to enjoy it. I want more time and laughs together.
Goals for Me
- Reconnect with part of me: My life has changed since I became a wife and mother. I want to reconnect with the things that I used to love that have fallen by the wayside in the past ten years or so.
- Be a better friend: I want to build deeper relationships with friends I left on the West Coast and new ones that I've met here. I think that building deeper relationships starts with me. I want to be the kind of friend that I'd like to have. I want to take more time to develop those relationships.
- Read more: While I have been reading rather voraciously since Brett gave me a Kindle last year, I tend to read novels that are entertaining but don't necessarily enrich my life. I hope to read more books that help me in my pursuit to learn more...but really, I probably won't give up the novels either.
- Exercise more: I still haven't managed to make exercise become part of my regular life. However, there's always hope right? I've decided to embrace how I used to keep in shape...dancing. So, I hope to work out at home. I already have the New York City Ballet: The Complete Workout, Vol. 1 and 2 and I do love it. I haven't made it all the way through the video, but baby steps right? If I can stick it out, I might also pick up Dance with Julianne: Cardio Ballroom. I've always wanted to learn a little ballroom dancing.
- Work more: For the past year, I've worked part-time as a virtual assistant. Honestly, I do enjoy it. I hope to find a way that I can meet my family's needs AND make time to take on more clients.
Did you set any goals for 2012?