- Cut a long strip of felt about 4 inches wide.
- Hole punched 25 spots for the bows from each sided of the strip -- each was spaced about 1 inch apart.
- Cut yarn into 12-inch lengths & threaded through the two holes for each bow. Tied in a double knot.
- Hot-glued some gold string to the top to hang the calendar on the wall.
- Hot-glued gold/burgandy ribbon AND a nativity graphic with Ella's name that I printed on "canvas" ink jet paper onto the calendar.
- Tied candy onto calendar. (Cheapskate that I am, I used the candy that we got at the parade! Unfortunately, we didn't have enough so I'll need to run out and buy some more to complete the calendar.)
Just as I was finishing up, Brett arrived home earlier than expected from his conference. Soon after, Ella woke up and immediately asked what I made for her. I showed it to her and let her take the first piece of candy from the bottom. I think she will enjoy this and it will give her a visual of how long it is to Christmas and the birth of our baby!
Last night the festivities continued and we all headed to Los Olivos for the "tree" lighting ceremony. Technically, it's a tree of lights attached to the flagpole in the middle of the road -- it's kinda funny actually. But, it is a nice community event. Lots of art galleries and stores give out free goodies, local school bands play carols, and Santa & Mrs. Claus are around to visit with the kiddies. Ella wasn't afraid of Santa, but she didn't want to get out of her stroller either. He was very kind and gave her a little toy and a candy cane. Later she said, "Ohhhh, Santa is so nice. He gave me a candy cane!"
Later this week, we will probably head out to get our tree and start decorating the house. For the first time, we have a child in the home who is old enough to start to understand the meaning of Christmas and to enjoy celebrating it. I'm really looking forward to the next month and making some special memories with Ella before the next little one arrives. I probably won't be organized enough to do something every day of the month but I hope we can decorate the tree, bake & paint Christmas cookies and do some Christmas crafts together.