One of my all-time favorite desserts is Toffee Dream Pie. It's a simple freezer pie -- a quick no-bake crust filled with a creamy filling that you pop in the freezer. It's a great make-ahead dessert. When my sister's cookbook Not Your Mother's Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook came out last month, I heard some rave reviews for the Coconut Crunch Pie. After I read the recipe, I realized that the method was similar to Toffee Dream Pie. It got me thinking of other ways to use this freezer pie method. Trader Joe's provided further inspiration! A sample I had there last year showed me how delicious lemon and gingerbread can be together. When I saw their Triple Ginger Snap Cookies, I knew I had to try my hand at making a Lemon Gingersnap Freezer Pie. The result? Oh, the flavor is so delicious. If you want a creamier pie, allow it to thaw more. If you like an icier treat, let it thaw enough to slice it and enjoy.
Lemon Gingersnap Freezer Pie
1 1/4 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
fresh lemon juice of one small lemon (about 2 Tablespoons)
zest of one lemon
about 1 cup coarsely crushed gingersnap cookies
- In a small bowl, combine gingersnap cookie crumbs and the melted butter. Form the crust by patting this mixture into an 8-inch pie pan.
- In a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of your Kitchen Aid Mixer), whip the whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Gradually add the powdered sugar and then the lemon juice. Continue whipping until soft peaks form. By hand with a spatula, fold in the lemon zest and the coarsely crushed gingersnap cookies.
- Spoon the lemon gingersnap whipped cream mixture into the gingersnap crust. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Freeze until firm. Wrap with plastic wrap and keep in freezer until serving. (If keeping frozen longer than overnight, wrap pie in foil and place in a freezer bag.)
- To serve, remove the pie from the freezer, unwrap, and allow it to thaw for about 10 minutes to make it easier to slice. For a creamier pie, allow it to thaw longer. Return leftovers to the freezer.
For other pie recipes, be sure to stop by Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as MOM on Thursday.